Wednesday, March 12, 2008

BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE, FAT LADIES NOT SINGING AND COTTON TAX

I know what you´re thinking. Dan´s blogs are like buses, you wait couple of weeks for one then two come along in the same week! I know but so much has happened I figured I needed to get myself bang up to date so I shall carry on from whence I left off.

So we check out of the crap hostel in Buenos Aires cursing the day the owner was ever born and we jump in a cab and hop foot it to the airport where the airline, Aerolineas Argentineas (never heard of it either, I swear these guys just make up these companies) decides, in their infinite wisdom, to not sit us together. Like we pissed them off or something, so one of us had to sit in front of the one another other, like we´d misbehaved or something. They claimed it was something to do with having no available seats. I just thought it was because I was wearing shorts.

So the flight takes us to Iguassu Falls which are arguably the most beautiful falls in the world. I´ve only ever seen Niagara and they beat the hell out of them. The Argentian / Brazilian border goes right through the middle giving Argentina the lion share of the falls.
So we are picked up on the Argentinian side by a guy with shaved head and sun glasses and built like a stone toilet. And he speaks English, bonus! He´s going to take us to our hotel...in Brazil. So we speed to the border and before you can say ´Some guy called Hose asked me to carry the package for him´we were across the checkpoint. CLICK. The locks on the doors locked simultaneously. I looked and Alison, she just looked straight back at me, I thought she was thinking ´Do I have something on my face´but actually she was also concerned with the door locking situation. We both turned to the driver, he just smiled and said ´Welcome to Brazil.´

We went to both sides of the Falls. Brazilian and Argentinian. I preferred the Argentinian, Alison preferred the Brazilian (because you didn´t get wet, sissy) and we had a jolly good time cavorting around in the mist and seeing them from every angle possible. Lovely.

In the evening we found a goldmine of a restaurant. Don´t ask me what it was called or where it is, because we spent about 2 hours trying to find the damn place. Bloody Lonely Planet and their devilishly incorrect mapping department. But once we got there it was great. You ordered your wine, then these guys would start coming around with metal kebabs. Upon each was a different sort of meat. ´Sirloin sir?´ to which the reply is´of course´. He would then cut off a generous portion and move to the next table. Then another guy would come along and say something like ´chicken hearts sir?´ to which I said ´Yes of course.´ It was only after he´d put it on my plate did I replay the conversation and...did he say chicken hearts? I stared at it, pondering on my next course of action. Another waiter interrupted my thoughts. ´Pork chop sir?´ Well it would be rude not to. And so it went on...and on...and on. Within ten minutes I had a pile of meat that I could accurately describe as a pyramid. Great. But really, chicken hearts?

When we got to Rio, things changed. Firstly I was very disappointed in Rio. I was really looking forward to it but it just feels like someone will grab your stuff at the first given opportunity. Also the Lonely Planet scares the crap out of you with the ´Dangers and Annoyances´ section so when you arrive you´re primed for gang-rape, murder, torture and carjackings. The Brazilians ar very conscious of their appearance, non so as people in Rio. The beach, Ipanema was like a fashion parade...of not a lot. I think there´s some sort of massive tax embargo on importing Lycra or cotton here. Because everyone has almost nothing on. Seriously, they must have to make the most out of the little material each shop is ´rationioned´ so they create these bikinis and ´trunks´ that really leave nothing to the imagination at all. I must say I felt completely at home with my bleach-white complexion and scraggly legs as I walked along the beach trying to find a spot where the guy´s next to me biceps wouldn´t push me in to the sea every time he sneezed. We found a spot and made camp. Not in the least self conscious as I examined my slightly wobbly belly and looked at the abundance of six packs stomping past me and thought ´ooo you´re just like everyone else, who wants that?´
I tell you another thing. There´s nothing I like more that coming to a yellow sandy beach and looking out over the surf to see...three oil supertankers sat on the horizon. Last one to the sea´s a sissy.

We wanted to know about the Brazilian psyche, so Alison had a chat to the girl on reception at our hostel. We wanted some travel advice and the Lonely Planet (don´t trust it, it lies and deceives) said some town north of Rio called Nova Frigburgo was nice. The girl stared at Alison and said ´ Why would you want to go there, doesn´t even have a beach.´ Like a place that doesn´t have a beach was the most ridiculous thing in the world. She also said ´Brazilians don´t like anything unless it is beautiful. Brazilian don´t go anywhere unless it is beautiful. Brazilians need to be surrounded by beautiful things and beautiful people.´ I guess that´s why there aren´t many Brazilians in Sherpherds Bush.

A word about Brazilian TV as well. Not to put too finer point on it, it´s shit. And it´s all in Portuguese!? So one evening we´re flicking through the channels and we come across a 24 hour news station so we think ´let´s watch this for a laugh.´ The picture showed a news helicopter pumping out live pictures of what appeared to be a police rescue. They were on the top floor of a block of flats. Onlookers were staring from the street. Police were trying to keep order. On closer inspection however we realised it was the fire brigade. They use the term Bombardiers for fireman, really helpful. We thought it might have been the bomb squad. No. What they were doing was helping a rather overweight lady from her flat to an ambulance. That´s it. Fat lady needs crane shocker. Send the copter, we´ve got a breaker!!! We sat in awe for over an hour, transfixed. We were hungry but we just couldn´t leave. Enthralling. Eventually they got the poor dear in to the ambulance and drove away , the back throwing out sparks. And we thought, it´s only a matter of time before this comes to the UK. Can´t wait.
You know they have a channel here where all they show, 24 hours a day is...wait for it...pictures of cows. Cows eating. Cows mooing. Cows shitting. Seriously the camera follows the cow around the field and they pump this out to cable! Someone somewhere must be getting off on this. Me, I just thought it was weird.

´What comes next after the cows?´ Alison asks, eager for us to leave this Internet cafe to go to dinner. A good question and the answer is coming next.

We move to an island 4 hours southwest of Rio called Ilha Grande. For those with non-degree level Portuguese, ala me, this roughly translates to Big Island. Boy they must have been up all night thinking of that one!
So we check in to our hostel where I am promptly nearly whacked in the face by a bat and not the baseball variety either. I yell ´Look where you´re going! What are you, blind?´

So Ilha Grande has one of Brazils most beautiful beaches but...and here´s the kicker...you have to walk 3 hours through the jungle to get to it. Or...(there are no cars on the island) you can take a boat which takes an hour. So what do you think we opted for, easiness or snakes and monkeys? Yep, jungle it was. And it was a grueling hour and a half up, then another hour and a half down. And the humidity...Jesus I´ve never sweated like I have here. It runs down my body like a waterfall. I intend to write a very strongly worded letter to Sure deodorant when I get back.
So we walk and walk, and just for good measure we walk some more and...you´ll have to wait till next time because I´m out of time.

What a cliffhanger. God I bet you can´t wait for the next installment. I can´t. Wow. Brilliant.

Until next time my friends,

Dan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was certainly interesting for me to read that article. Thanks for it. I like such themes and everything connected to them. I would like to read a bit more on that blog soon.

Truly yours