Sunday, March 9, 2008

SMASHED GLASSES, LOVE HANDLES AND DUBIOUS HAIRCUTS

So it´s been a little while since last I wrote. I quickly discovered that Brazil is expensive! Where were we before we were so rudely interrupted.

Ah yes La Paz. Well just before we left I had a little run in with a rather strange German guy, (we´ll call him Adolf for the sake of this story) who threatened to ´Smash your glasses in to your face!´ Not very nice I thought. I know what you´re thinking. You´re pondering what could have got this guy, who had obviously not heard of the English word deodorant, so worked up. The answer was strangely simple. I was using the computer a little too much. See, the hotel we were in had a free Internet connection, an invaluable tool in my burgeoning blogging career such as it is.
So Adolf decides I´m on the ´good´ computer and wants it for himself. So he starts off all nice but when I inform him I had only just sat down and ´I´m terribly sorry ol chap but I might be here for 15 minutes or so´, our villain decides to morph in to a German translation of Jekyll and Hyde. It was like I´d pressed all the right buttons, immediately hitting Def con 1. I´m like, hey what happened to Def con 4,3 and 2? Of course he wasn´t interested in having that sort of conversation which is when I suggested to him that he may be being an ´impatient prick.´
Sometimes my emotions get the better of me and I fear this was one of those occasions. And so, inevitably this is not what Adolf wants to hear and he promptly turns a light shade of purple and explodes at me. He got close to my face to really push home the point of how serious he was. I thought about offering him a Tic Tac but didn´t think this was the moment.
I chuckled at this silly foreigner and went back to the computer. As he jumped up and down, I started to fear he may just combust in front of me. When he realised I had no intention of moving he suddenly just gave up. Although as a parting shot he said ´If you ever call me a prick again I´ll...(here it comes) smash your glasses in to your face.´ What he didn´t realise is that my eyesight is so bad, I need really, really thick glasses, also I have titanium frame, almost indestructible. Who´s laughing now Jack? Or Adolf or whatever you´re stupid name is.

So after that little bit of fun we try and check out of the hotel to catch the plane to Buenos Aires. Except, of course, there´s always something. The hotel accused us of not paying our phone bill. We had, of course, but the fuckwit on the desk hadn´t put the piece of paper with the rest of our bills. So Reception Guy says he has to call his boss, bear in mind this is 5 in the morning on a Sunday. Oh this is going to be good. After a couple of minutes talking Spanish to one another, he hands the phone to me where the manager says he doesn´t remember us paying for the calls. I say ´Well I did.´To which he says ´You didn´t.´ This Bolivian version of Wimbledon goes back and forth for a time until I run out of patience. So I counter his version with the best thing a customer can say in these situations. I said ´Are you calling me a liar´ He started backtracking immediately. ´No sir, I just can´t remember...´ I said ´That´s not my fault, we paid yesterday blah, blah.´ You get the picture. Man I´m on fire today.

On the taxi ride to the airport we were both like ´La Paz sure likes its confrontations. Don´t think I´ll recommend it to my mum.´ And I didn´t. Not that Bolivia was high on her list of worldwide destinations.

So we get to the airport and fly to Buenos Aires via another Bolivian city called Santa Cruz. Of course they don´t have a connections corridor. Oh no. You have to come out to the check in area and go back through security again. Perfect! Except...this airport hasn´t seen fit to invest in X-Ray machines or metal detectors, no, far too simple. This airport has to search everyone and everything...by hand.
I´ve never been patted down so thoroughly in my life. At one point I even thought I was guilty. The guy went through our bags with such meticulous detail I thought, shit he´s going to find that suntan lotion I didn´t pack and think its liquid mercury or something. After about 15 minutes of ball-cupping and making me feel shitty about my love handles he let us through.

So we get to Buenos Aires on a Sunday. And as we drive in I know I´m going to love this city. It just has such a cool vibe. Feels like Spain or France or somewhere.
Anyway, we get to the hostel which, at first, looks great. Bit too colourful for my tastes, a real YOUTH hostel but not offensive. So the child on reception, who still has braces on her teeth, shows us to our room. We´re trying to save a bit of money and this place is a bargain. We find out why when she opens the door to our room. First, it´s not a double bed it´s two singles. Okay not what we asked for but I can live with it for a short while. The room had no windows however and the two beds were the most basic I´d ever seen. I thought, this is perfect for Mother Teresa but I need something a little softer than concrete to lie on. Seriously, it looked like a jail cell and when she closed the door I felt like banging a tin cup against the door or whistling. I made a mental note to buy some cigarettes as soon as possible for protection. When we looked at the shared bathroom I immediately wished I hadn´t. Hair in the plughole, water and something else (let´s not go in to details, we all know what we´re talking about) everywhere, no toilet paper, kind of slippy, lovely.

That wasn´t the best of it though. Nope. The best was to come at 0600AM when the we heard children playing outside, screaming, shouting at the top of their sweet little voices. The property was next to a fucking nursery or something and the nursery opened early. Of course the hostel had failed to mention this when we checked in. Mistake.
So with bloodshot eyes we ´spoke´ to the child on reception and asked to move. To be fair she was very helpful and said we could relocate to another room. Great! Still looked like prison (no windows) but at least it had a double bed with a matress.

So we went and explored Buenos Aires. Gotta say, one of my favourite places I´ve been yet. It´s got steaks to die for, some of the best wine, all for the price of a doughnut in England! Fab. We did a lot of walking in the two days we were there which was fun. Alison had the shits, which wasn´t.

It really feels like London and then you turn a street and you swear you´re in Paris. Then you get to a park and it feels like Sydney. It´s great. Had a little haircut which turned in to a committee. Let me explain. Because no one speaks English trying to tell them what I want involved about 4 people. So the guy would cut and then the others (hairdresser, receptionist, Alison, random bloke in the next chair and dog) would discuss it. Then he would cut some more. Of course whenever you turn these things over to a democracy it always ends up being a compromise with everyone going away not really happy and that´s what happened. Because when I say a little haircut, I mean it´s been two weeks now I need another bloody one! NOTE TO SELF: Next time I need a haircut try not to do it through a branch of the United Nations. I don´t know what the Spanish is for ´Get a haircut´ but I´m sure that´s what people are saying as I walk passed them. I look like a Fraggle.

Buenos Aires has the widest street in the world (16 lanes of shimmering concrete). All very impressive until, that is, you have to cross it. Oh sure they have zebra crossings but why would anyone pay any attention to those. It´s a bit like trying to cross the M25 during rush hour with nothing but your outstretched hand and the occasional ´Whoa! WHOA!´ Boy that was a fun, underpant-changing situation.

All in all though we liked it. So much so that we have booked ourselves an apartment for 2 weeks at the end of March. We need a holiday from our holiday. All this travelling is getting a bit tiring.

There´s more to tell but the guy who owns the Internet cafe is growling at me, maybe he´s just hungry but with an ugly tattoo like that I´m not taking any chances. I will write soon, because I know you all log on every day to check if Dan´s written another blog and try to cover the bitter disappointment when there isn´t one. Then things start getting smashed and you shout at your boss for no real reason. It turns you nasty and I understand that. So here´s part one of this particular blog. Not sure how many more parts are coming but what the hell, numbers were never really my strong part.

Adios

Dan

No comments: