Sunday, February 24, 2008

BACK FROM GALAPAGOS

Hello UK chums.

We have just returned from a staggering trip to the Galapagos Islands. What a place. Highlights, let´s see, swimming with Turtles, sea lions and sharks. Lowlights, slight seasickness on the boat in rougher seas, a little sun burned under my arms. After a somewhat tumultuous goodbye at the airport with familes wailing and tears streaming down my face like a big girl we board the plane to Quito via (get this) Amsterdam - Bonaire (wherever that is) - Guayquill - Quito. Mammouth 15 hour job. We were a little shagged when we finally reached Quito, Luckily our friendly man from the hotel was there with a big board and in shining letters ´Daniel Granto´.

Hotel was nice. After reading the guidebook security section on Quito and the different and varied ways of robbing, mugging, stabbing and killing tourists I think it´s fair to say we must have spent the first few days being terrified to our very essence and utterly paranoid of everything and everyone. A little trip on a local bus up to the Equator, which was all very jolly, looking at everyone on the bus and wondering how long it would be before someone asked us to hand over the cash and-or my sun cream. Luckily never happened (touch wood) Then Galapagos. Quite a small yacht-type boat. Keeps 12 people happy. Plan normally was sail to an island overnight. Then snorkel followed by walk or vice versa. Then sail again. That was life for the past 8 days and it was about as close to heaven as I´ve been in some time. Anyway, I promised myself I´d keep this short. We fly to Lima tomorrow and start the Inca trail the day after. Apparently it´s pissing it down consistantly. Hope I don´t lose my ´tan´, I spent many an hour working on that ´just got out of the Solarium´ look. I look a little like a beetroot but I´m hoping it will settle down to Adonis soon.

Hope all of you are well, I shall update when we´ve done the Inca Trail.

Chao!

No comments: