Sunday, February 24, 2008

Inca Trail

Guten tag,

After the relative calm of the Galapagos we jetted off to Lima which, if I´m completely honest is a bit of a shit hole. The traffic and general feeling of impending doom to the tourist kinda wears you down. There were a couple of nice churches and Alison started hearing voices in her ears inside one of the catacombs which I just took as being the dodgy llama she´d had for lunch. So from Lima we join up with a bunch of children who all want to walk the Inca trail with us. They´re all gap yearers or students and I feel about as old as God. But they´re pleasant enough so we all catch a flight to Cusco which is in the mountains. A nice main square, not much oxygen etc etc. The first hotel we stay in is nice. A cross between a youth hostel for the under 25´s and a 10 year old Travel Inn. Not bad and as we settled down to sleep we wondered why we hadn´t said anything to the 20 people downstairs getting pissed, their voices gently echoing up the stairs almost nestling between myself and Alison.

So with bloodshot eyes we drove to some other Inca place, I wasn´t paying much attention at this point. All very impressive and old. Not sure why the Inca´s decided to live up the top of mountains. Obviously their town planning hadn´t gotten as far as worrying about skanky students doing a 4 day walk to get up to the damn place. Camping is not my thing. If I was in any doubt about that, the Inca Trail (God bless you) finalised it. It was cold, you could barely get in and out of the things, and Alison kept taking up my side which I really hate. So we walk. And walk. And walk some more. Up and up and up, then a little down, then up some more. Frankly it all got a bit tiresome and we started getting a bit ratty with other members of the group who all seemed to be from Norway or Sweden and seemed to be world-class hikers. And as they raced passed us for the 30th time leaving us in their dust I wondered if they´d be able to down a cup of tea nearly as fast as me. I doubt it! Ha. Obviously to our Scandinavian chums it was a race and they won, by a country mile and then some. (In fact they even had time for coffee and biscuits and a little snooze by the time we racked up)

So the guide comes up with the genius plan to try and to the 4 day hike in 3 days. Marvellous. And I thought this just couldn´t get any more fun. So we do it and through the cries of misery, 3 day old underwear and tears of abject hopelessness we finally make it to Machu Picchu which, to be fair is pretty spectacular. Could we have taken the train? Yes. And we should have. And so, on the way down (on the train) I have to resist the urge to scream from the window at those who are just setting off on their wet, ´life-enhancing´ journey. "For God sake, turn back!" I could not, however bring myself to carry it through. A nice touch on the train is the airline service you are treated to. A box of sandwiches, drinks...then, the train hostess (I assume that´s what she was called) treated us to a fashion show. Music started to blare out of speakers and she and her male colleague started cat- walking along the ´isle´ showcasing the best in Peruvian Alpaca (bit like Llama wool stuff). I was lost for words as the entire carriage started whooping and whistling at them. As the train pulled in to the station I started to wonder what other comedy life events the Sun God got in store for us.

Stay tuned for more rambling dispatches from the Southern American continent.

Dan

No comments: