Sunday, February 24, 2008

POO-HOLES AND PHOTOCOPIERS

Well hi there,

So after the long and somewhat laborious Inca Trail thing, seriously there's a train, why would you walk it?

So we leave the tourist empty Cuzco and jump on a bus to Arequipa, Peru's second biggest city, next to, wait for it, two active volcanoes. Nice. It's all white stone and not an unpleasant place to be for a few days. Wondered around a monastery or two, ate some local food which was fine. Although because we're totally stuck if we get to a restaurant and actually decide this isn't the place for us. By that time we've already sat down they've already started to wait on us. I kid you not, we went to three, yes three different restaurants. All of whom we sat down in and were given menu's. All of whom we decided weren't right and had to stand up in front of everyone else eating there and leave. I do love those uncomfortable, awkward moments.

Then we booked a little two day trip to the Colca Canyon which is supposedly twice the size of the Grand Canyon and whilst it was impressive I kept thinking to myself ''What's the difference between a canyon and a valley cos this sure looks like a valley.''

Anyway spotted some condors from miles away drifting on the currents and whilst I had to contend with some very loud Canadians on the bus there and back, it was all I could do from turning around and saying ''Why can't you say it quietly, she's sitting right next to you for Christ sake!''

So we jump on another bus to Puno, on Lake Titicaca which, frankly is a bit of a poo hole. It basically has one street where you get harassed by every restaurant, Internet cafe and local wanting to sell you something. We have a good deal on a hostel, only $20 a night, bargain, although the smell of raw sewage makes my eyes water somewhat. Also there seems to be a disproportionate amount of photocopiers in this town. It's only small but seemingly every shop has a photocopier. I swear if I needed to photocopy something this would be the place, the competition was fierce.

So to get ourselves out of this Poohole, Puno, and we book a little trip to a couple of Lake Titicaca's islands. Once we're on the lake, I relax and slap on the suncream. Damn that sun is strong. We're at 4000m and in the shade you feel like you might lose one of your testicles and in the sun you burn within 3 minutes, can't win.

We arrive on Amantani, I won't bore you with the introductory crap suffice to say it looked very picturesque and met the family we were to stay with. Buenos Dias I said friendly. Nothing. The old woman with black headscarf just started walking up the impossibly steep hill towards her 'house'. Then I realise she only speaks Quecha. Not even Spanish. Ace.

It wasn't an unpleasant place, the room was basic but functional. The toilet however was something altogether different. An outdoor shed hiding what was basically a hole. And the smell. If there were words in English I would use them but I've wracked my brain and I just seem to locate them. Fun for all during the night when realised you needed to go. Oh sure the stars were amazing but trying to find the shed with no power, holding your nose and aiming accurately. Frankly it all got the better of me.

So after that fun little episode we visit another island, do a bit of sight seeing, meet a very nice Israeli girl with her tagalong friend from New York and we have a very nice dinner with them.

Next day we head over the border to Bolivia and a town still on Lake Titicaca called Copacabana. A nice little place and our hotel is stunning. A large domed shaped building with perfect views of the lake from our room. And the room is enormous. It has 4 beds. Two twins and a double up a ladder. So we've basically been bumming around, sitting in the sun, reading. I've been listening to my Spanish CD and keep getting weird looks from other guests as I recite ''No Habla Espanol.''

We move to La Paz, the capital, tomorrow where we start our 11 day tour of Bolivia. We are having a truly great time, and whilst there are moments of challenge, bus stations to name but a few, my impressions of South America seem to get better and better.

I hope you are all well and I shall write soon to bore you all stupid with more inane tales from the Southern continent. Frankly if you're read this far you're either really bored at work or are doing it out of politeness. I appreciate either reason.

Till next time.

Dan

No comments: